7 Reasons to Love Granite Pavers and Benchtops
If you’re thinking about building or renovating, then you’re obviously thinking about materials. From timber to marble, slate to glass there are plenty of different materials to choose from and each one has its own unique set of properties, its own pros and cons.
But few of them are as versatile as granite. Whether you’re considering new flooring, granite pavers around the swimming pool, kitchen benchtops or splashbacks or even a driveway, granite simply can’t be beaten.
So, let’s have a look at our 7 reasons to use granite around your home.
- Toughness and durability – Granite is one of the hardest naturally occurring stones on the planet. It is naturally resistant to scratching, chipping and abrasion, making granite benchtops a perfect kitchen addition. Granite can also take immense weight without cracking. This means that granite pavers are brilliant for driveways and car parks as they can comfortably take the weight of a car without damage to the pavers. Granite’s durability also makes it great for flooring in high-traffic areas, as it won’t wear, fade or get scuffed or scratched by regular foot traffic.
- Naturally Water Resistant – Granite is a naturally non-porous stone. That means that even without sealing, granite absorbs very little water. This makes it an ideal material for kitchen benchtops or bathroom vanities and other wet areas around the house, like laundries or outdoor areas. Because it doesn’t absorb water, granite is also a very hygienic surface. It can be quickly wiped clean without needing specialised cleaners. And since water can’t penetrate the stone bacteria cannot breed within it.
- Heat Resistant and Non-Combustible – Granite is an igneous rock, which means it was formed through the cooling and solidifying of liquid magma or lava. Because of its formation under the most extreme geological conditions, granite has a natural resistance to heat and fire. This makes granite an idea material to use around high-heat areas of the house like benchtops and splashbacks by stovetops or areas around fireplaces.
- Resistant to chemicals – Granite is naturally much more resistant to chemicals and acids than other natural stone surfaces, like marble. This makes granite a popular choice for kitchen benchtops as household chemicals and acids are unlikely to damage the surface. Granite pavers are also great for around swimming pools as the pool chemicals or salt won’t damage the granite like they would other stone surfaces.
- Easy to Maintain – If you are looking for a low maintenance material then granite is a great option. Again, because it is non-porous, water cannot penetrate the surface of the stone, which prevents the build-up of bacteria, mould or mildew. Granite doesn’t require any special maintenance treatments or special cleaning agents to keep it looking great. Simply cleaning it with household detergent and water is enough to keep it in pristine condition.
- Timeless Beauty – The natural patterning and wide variety of colours makes granite one of the most aesthetically pleasing stones available. The glossy finish and reflective properties also help to create a sense of depth in the stone. The natural patterns of the stone also mean that no two slabs of granite are exactly the same. This ensures a unique patterning on any granite surface.
- Can Take Any Shape – Because granite is a natural stone, the shape and size of slabs are not limited by manufacturer’s specifications. Since the stone can be custom cut and shaped to your requirements, it makes for more seamless and durable surfaces.
Benchtops and Granite Pavers in Melbourne
At HL Stone World we’re passionate about granite. If you’re looking for granite pavers or granite benchtops in Melbourne, we can help you out. We carry an extensive range of high-quality granite in a selection of beautiful colours and finishes.
Our team of designers can help you create the perfect look, whether it’s for your kitchen benchtops, poolside paving, driveway or wherever.